Re: [Xen-users] vm ignores kickstart

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 13:26 -0800, Kyle Fransham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use a kickstart file to install VMs on a Scientific
> Linux 5.2 (repackaged RHEL52) host, but the install process seems to
> ignore my kickstart file.  The command I'm using is:
>
> virt-install -n sl4vm01 --ram=1024 --vcpus=1 --os-type=linux
> --os-variant=rhel4
> --extra-args="ks=http://particle.phys.uvic.ca/~fransham/ks.cfg";
> --paravirt --nographics --file=/var/lib/xen/images/BbrSL4.img
> --file-size=5
> --location=ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/46/i386/ -d
>
> In the output, I see that the ks=<mykickstartfile> parameter is indeed
> being passed to the kernel:

> Built 1 zonelists
> Kernel command line:  ks=http://particle.phys.uvic.ca/~fransham/ks.cfg
> method=ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/46/i386/
> Initializing CPU#0
>
> but I am forced to go through all of the install options (eg. setting
> the language) anyways.  I don't see any errors in the startup messages
> (see below).  Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Your command looks correct, wonder if its the actual syntax in your
config causing issues.

In https://particle.phys.uvic.ca/~fransham/ks.cfg I see

network --bootpro dchp --hostname vm01

where it should be

network --bootproto dhcp --hostname vm01

If you haven't tried already you may have better luck initiating the
install with --vnc so you can use the different ttys (Alt-F2, etc) to
debug the install.

Also if you haven't already you may want to do a manual install and take
the resulting /root/anaconda-ks.cfg that the installer spits out as a
clean base for a working kickstart file.
--
Matthew Kent \ SA \ bravenet.com