Re: [Xen-users] link mode on pv sles9

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM, jeroen groenewegen van der weyden
<groen692@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to install a SLES9 sp4 as domU. This distribution comes with kernel
> 2.6.5-7-308 which I cannot compile with the para_virt_guest options.

If you want to compile a kernel anyway, why not use new xen kernel from xen.org?

> However the dom0 has a 1G nic but the link speed in the the domU with the
> xennet module say the link mode is only 100mb and 1G is not even available
> in domU.

It's not really related what link speed you have on dom0 and what you
have on domU.
For instance, even if dom0 has 10 Mbps link, domU can still have a
link that says 100 Mbps speed. In this case domU <-> dom0 traffic can
probably reach 100 Mbps, but domU <-> outside world will be capped at
10 Mbps max.

> Anybody knows why I do not see the 1G link mode available in domU?

I haven't used PV driver on Linux HVM before, so I can't comment much about it.
Perhaps it's simply because the domU network driver you use don't support 1Gbps.

There's also another possibility: the link speed displayed on domU is
meaningless.
For example, when using Windows HVM domU with GPLPV driver, link speed
is displayed as 1 Gbps. However, using iperf domU <-> dom0 can easily
provide over 1 Gpbs speed (James said he got over 2Gbps. I only got
1.4). You should try using iperf to test your domU <-> dom0
performance.

Regards,

Fajar

Regards,