Re: [Xen-users] domU inside another domU?

  • To: "Ferreira, N. L. (Nuno)" <n.l.ferreira@xxxxx>
  • From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:51:35 -0800
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 08:52:28 -0800

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Ferreira, N. L. (Nuno) <n.l.ferreira@xxxxx> wrote:
Hi *

Before putting my hands on the subject, thought on asking b4 to not waist time.

Imagine the following situation.
You want to give a tutorial about virtualization to a couple of students (or people in the lab wanting to learn), and do not want them to screw up your dom0.

My idea was to create a domU with enough resources (say, 6 vcpu's and 2 GB RAM per vcpu).
Then, I can give to the students the root passwd for this domU, and they can start to build some VM's inside of it.
Is this idea feasible?

Cheers,
Nuno

Nuno Ricardo Santos Loureiro da Silva Ferreira

NMR Spectroscopy Research Group
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research
Utrecht University
Bloembergen gebouw
Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht
The Netherlands

P: +31.(0)30.253 9932
F: +31.(0)30.253 2652
E: n.l.ferreira@xxxxx
W: http://nmr.chem.uu.nl

I've not set it up yet but I'd been wanting to do this before with my classes and the answer I got was to create all the initial DomUs for the students as HVM. Then you can put PV DomUs inside it. Like I said I haven't tried it but people in the know said it was possible.

You will of course need to have the correct VT hardware to do HVM on your machine.

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.