Re: [Xen-users] Does Xen 3.3 support giga bit network in the guest?

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Abdul Qadeer <qadeer.qadeer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:31:48 +0500
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 06:32:32 -0800

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Abdul Qadeer <qadeer.qadeer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I do the mentioned procedure and re-start the guest, all these changes
> go away
> automatically.  Looks like Xen "wipes them out".

That's not right. How did you create your domUs? Using the traditional
"xm create", or with virt-install/virt-manager?

The host (dom0) and guests (domU) were FC8.  I was using the Xen 3.0
kernel which comes with FC8.  I created domUs using virt-manager GUI

What did you modify? is it files on /etc/xen, or using virsh?

I manually edited the files in etc/xen.

Since you want to use Xen 3.3 anyway, instead of changing the emulated
NIC type I'd suggest you try one of these :
- convert your HVM domU to PV. Easiest when running Linux domU. This
has additional benefit of giving you maximum possible speed with
regards to CPU, disk, and network.
- use PV drivers. For Windows HVM, use James Harper's GPLPV. For Linux
HVM, you might be able to find kmod-xenpv RPM or a module called
xennet or xen-vnif
- use stubdom (only available on Xen 3.3)

Thank you on mentioning all the alternatives.   I will go through them to understand
them fully before asking questions on them.

I have been trying to build latest Xen code from source.  There have been different
issues (e.g. Xen kernel not booting due to LVM problems, or initrd failing because
it can't find SCSI based raid etc.).

I did

make world
make install
depmod
mkinitrd ...

During compilation there was an error that it can not find compile.h in include2.  But
since it didn't stop on that, I assumed its not critical?

So my immediate question is that if I have to include a new driver in the kernel code
which Xen downloads (usually 2.6.18.8), and I am going for para virtualization, it would
not be that straight to just put the drivers in the kernel and to re-build?  So how exactly
this work is done to include new drivers in xen?

Thank you,
Abdul Qadeer