Re: [Xen-users] Compiling lInux2.6.28.5 for hosting VM

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: KARTHIK BALAJI G <findkb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:31:14 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:32:25 -0800

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Maximilian Wilhelm <max@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anno domini 2009 KARTHIK BALAJI G scripsit:

Hi!

[Please to not top-post. It's far better readable the other way around]

> Thanks for replying. I forgot to mention that I did try that step u
> suggested. It still hangs at the same place. I think we need to compile a
> driver for the vanilla kernel (2.6.25.8) for it to recognize xvd* devices.
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

> In that is case why xen related config options I enabled during kernel
> compilation did not compile any driver for recognizing these devices ?

This should make you happy, to be able to boot the VM without any initrd:
max@vsc-build:/proc$ zgrep XEN config.gz
CONFIG_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_HVC_XEN=y

If you want to compile this stuff as modules you will have to use an
initrd of course.

HTH
Ciao
Max
--

Hi Max,

My compiled kernel configuration looks like this ,

 >zgrep XEN .config
CONFIG_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_MAX_DOMAIN_MEMORY=20
CONFIG_XEN_SAVE_RESTORE=y
CONFIG_XEN_DEBUG_FS=y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_NETXEN_NIC=m
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_KBDDEV_FRONTEND=m
CONFIG_HVC_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_FBDEV_FRONTEND=m
CONFIG_XEN_BALLOON=y
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y

 So I think I compiled some as modules and the required in kernel itself. The kernel image with this configuration is failing.

-Karthik