Re: [Xen-users] Trouble enabling VT-D: "I/O virtualisation disabled"

  • To: andrewyates <andrewyates@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Steve Reaver <stevereaver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:05:23 +1100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:06:04 -0800

I too have the same problems.   Using ASUS P6T and Debian Lenny.  I
played around with it for weeks and just could not get it to work,
here is my original post on the issue.

http://www.nabble.com/ASUS-p6t,-i7-920,--vt-d-broken.....-td21624614.html

I've given up for the moment......

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM, andrewyates <andrewyates@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a chipset which supports VT-d (Intel X58) and, according to my
> motherboard manufacturers, VT-d is enabled in the BIOS and listed as "Intel
> VT." The problem is that xm dmesg shows "I/O virtualisation disabled" and I
> get this error message when I try to create a domU with a pci device
> assigned: 'Error: failed to assign device: maybe the platform doesn't
> support VT-d, or VT-d isn't enabled properly?".
>
> I've made sure the PCI device backend driver is compiled into the kernel,
> and dmesg shows pciback seizing my device:
> pciback 0000:03:00.0: seizing device
> pciback 0000:03:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
>
> I also tried it with several other PCI devices. All were seized, but I got
> the same results when trying to launch a domU with any of them. I've tried
> this with both Xen 3.3 and Xen unstable, with the 2.6.26 Debian Xen kernel.
> I can't use an earlier kernel as they don't support my sata chipset.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could be causing these errors?
> --

Steve Reaver
http://www.stevereaver.com
Electronic Music Production