Re: [Xen-users] Newbie requesting words of wisdom from the experienced

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM,  <christoffer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I previously tried FreeNAS as HVM, which didn't work so well, because HVM
> apparently depends on qemu/ioemu, which can only export four disks, which
> is not enough. I need about seven - short term - and an additional four
> next time I expand storage.

Linux and WIndows HVM has PV drivers, which greatly improves I/O
performance and allows use of more than four disks. I don't know about
*BSD's though.

> As a last resort, I guess I could simply set up software RAID in dom0 and
> export the resulting volumes to a domU filer, but I would like to be able

That could work as well. I prefer to setup LVM on top of RAID, but
it's your choice.

> to get an SMS if a disk fails. That assumes a server/demon process can
> discover it and transmit.

To detect a fail disk you need something like smartd that has
low-level access to the disks. It's not feasible to have such tools
running on domU. Leave it at dom0 instead.

Regards,

Fajar