Re: [Xen-users] xen ov guest nfs

> Denis J. Cirulis wrote:
>>     I'm running opensuse 11.1 dom0 + many 11.1 domU. For now PV guests are
>>     located on local drive with LVM. I'm in need to connect more dom0
>>     machines to farm and for sure I need to move guests to the shared
>>     storage. My choise of storage would be NFSv3/4

> this is only practicable if you have very (very!) fast NFS servers (think
> NetApp middle-high models).  far more efficient is to use block sharing
> protocols (iSCSI, AoE, gnbd, etc).

That, or your guests uses disk I/O lightly :)

You didn't mention what your domU uses are. If it's for I/O intensive
database, remote storage (NFS or whatever) is probably a no-no. You
might even want to stick with local storage due to its performance.
However, if you use it for light-wight web servers, or DNS/DHCP
servers, then NFS is probably fine.

PS: since you're looking for a NAS anyway, I suggest you try looking
at Solaris 10 or opensolaris, which has zfs volumes (exportable via
iscsi). This should make your job a lot easier as it supports snapshot
and clones from storage server, compression, and checksum for data
integrity.

Regards,

Fajar