[Xen-users] Device Drivers in xen, looking also for a white book about how xen works exactly‏

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Patrick Archibal <bugpb60@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:19:12 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 05:19:58 -0800

Hello,

I'm reading an excellent documentation about virtualisation in embedded system.
 (available on open kernel labs site)

I have read these things : (It talks about managing drivers in a virtualization system)

"A straight virtualization approach can accomodate this by running the device the device driver inside the VMM. This requires porting all drivers to the hypervisor environnement , with no reuse of guest os driver"

A much better approach is to share a single driver between multiple vms, without including it in the hypervisor. This requires that ecah participating subsytem has a device modem for which it has a device driver. Typically, the real device driver is contained in one of the participating system, but a better  (safer) solution is to separate it out into in own subsystem"

I want to know how it works on xen.
I think that :

 All drivers are in the hypervisor, when a guest requires to use a device,  guest uses drivers which has been rewriten for xen in order to contact the hypervisor. Then, the hypervisor which has all real drivers (not modified) call the real device ?

or that :
The real device driver is contained in the dom0 system, the dom0 manage driver for all domU.

I have three questions :

1 -  Which is the good scenario ? (if one is good ) :o)
2 - If drivers for guests are rewritten to call hypervisor or dom0 instead of the device directly, who devellops driver ?
(xen devellopers ? or developper for kernel mainline)
3- Which is the real utility of dom0 system ? (just I/O and administration of virtual machines)

Last question, is someone have find a good white paper or doc which explains how xen works ?
(and where i can find probably answers for my questions ??)

Thanks for all this details.
Best regards

Patrick Archibal

Souhaitez vous  « être au bureau sans y être » ? Oui je le veux !