Re: [Xen-users] Forwarding USB-Modem into guest? Impossible?

Martin Fernau wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Am Dienstag, 31. März 2009 18:28:06 schrieb Thomas Halinka:
Hi Martin,

Am Dienstag, den 31.03.2009, 18:24 +0200 schrieb Martin Fernau:
Hi,

is there any way to forward usb-modems into Windows guest atm?
I tried it with

--- cut
usb=1
usbdevice='host:047e:2892'
--- cut

but I only get an error in my logs:

--- cut
usb_host: error - device has no matching configuration
Warning: could not add USB device host:047e:2892
--- cut

If I try the the same syntax (other address of course) for one
USB-Storage- Device I get no error and can access this usb device from
inside my guest.
USB-Passthrough works only which a small amount of devices, mostly
Mass-Storage and some other...

We had goog experiences with passthroughing the whole USB-Controller.

Maybe this is an option for you?
I'm afraid that this solution won't work for me as my board don't support vt-d :( I'm a bit dissapointed that I buy real server hardware (FSC PRIMERGY RX100 S5) but don't get the advantage of vt-d as other cheaper desktop computers have... I can't believe that I need to buy hardware for several thousand euros just to have possibilities users with 500€ computers have...

so... pushing the whole usb controller into a guest need vt-d as far as I know

If it's Windows XP guest, you could pick up a Belkin Netwok USB hub.

http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

I have not been able to get the Belkin hub to work on Windows 2003.

Ken Cobler