[Xen-users] Xen configuration file format

Hi,

It's been more than a year since I have experimented with Xen. Back then it
was with Centos 5's xen 3.0.x. Due to other occupations xen disappeared to the
background, until now.

I have now installed a Centos 5.3 server, with the gitco version of xen
(3.3.1).

Some things seem to have changed since my last experiments. So I could use
some hints to get me started again.

* In xen 3.0.x I had used virt-install to create new domU's. This in turn
created a config file in /etc/xen. I'm trying to do the same with xen 3.3.1
and the accompanying virt-install. The domU's are created an run properly, but
there's no longer a config file in /etc/xen. So how can I tweak the
configuration after initial setup ?

* The gitco xen seems to keep information on domU's in some internal database.
I still have some domU's (with config) from before I installed gitco xen. They
seem to work fine. However 'xm list' will always show all the domU's created
with gitco's virt-install (I mean whether they are started or stopped), and
only the domU's created before gitco that are actually running. So if I stop a
gitco created domU, it still appears in 'xm list' with no state, but if I stop
a pre-gitco domU, it disappears completely from 'xm list'. I can start it with
no problems though and it will reappear in 'xm list'.

* 32bit vs 64bit. I'm still confused about this. What is possible, and what is
not ? Or better even, what is recommended ? My server has got 8Gb of RAM for
now. Would 64 bit xen give me better performance ? And should dom0 be 64bit
then as well ? I think most of my domU's don't have very large memory needs so
probably these can remain 32bit.
But is this possible ? Can I mix 64bit and 32bit xen/dom0/domU's for PV and
HVM ?

Thank you for helping me out here.

Geert
--