[Xen-users] export single partitions to xen 3.1.2 domU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 23:20:03 -0500 (CDT)
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:22:33 -0700

I have some old xen instances which were installed under
Xen 3.1.0 with the following Disk configuration

disk = [ 'phy:LG0/LV11,sda1,w', 'phy:LG0/LV12,sda2,w','phy:LG0/LV13,sda3,w' ]

Each one of these is a single partition, with a single file system.

I am now trying to run redhat/centos/scientific linux 5.2 and convert
these old domU's over.

I run a lot of stuff on redhat/centos/scientific linux but
I have used the virt-manager to install all of them, and they are
all set up using the xvda type file system in which each exported
partition has got a partition table.
disk = [ "phy:/dev/LG0/LV0,xvda,w", "phy:/dev/LG0/LV16,xvdb,w" ]

Is there any way to mountt single partitions
 under the new software, if so, how?

I tried to export the three partitions above as xvda,xvdb, xvdc
and change the fstab and the grub information in domU accordingly,
no luck

I also tried to just do things as before with sda1,sda2,sda3,
also no luck.

In all cases  I get this error

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

---

I suppose I could move all existing file systems to new ones
of the new format but would really like to avoid that if I can.

Steve Timm