Re: [Xen-users] network-bridge breaks networking when eth0:1 is added

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote on Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:11:00 +0700:

> For non-standard networking setup (like the one where you have eth0:1)
> it'd be much easier if you let the OS handle the bridge and have
> something like (network-script /bin/true) on xend.sxp.

The point is that this setup works fine on the second machine I tested it
on, but not on the first one. But the network setup regarding eth0 is the
same except for the IP numbers. I can't see a reason why it would work on
one machine but not on the other.

So for example
> you can have these files
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xenbr0

This looks like the old way it was done in Xen 3.0. I was quite satisfied
with the results when they swapped eth0 and peth0 and made eth0 the
bridge. It has worked for me since then. I would rather like to continue
with that I think.

> An advantage of such approach is that you don't have to depend on xend
> for network setup. You can restart xend anytime you want and
> networking would still be OK.

Ok, I see that this might be an advantage, although I usually never
restart xend. The current problem manifests only when I boot. That's also
how I found out that something is wrong. When I first added eth0:1
everything seemed to be fine and as expected.

> Let me know if you need more detail on this setup (like what those
> file's contents look like).

Yes, I'm not experienced in bridging. If you could tell me a sample config
I could try that.
I would also need to tell xen to use xenbr0 for the vifs then. I remember
that from the early days, but I removed that now, of course. Looking
around in old files I assume I have to use the following for my config
files?
vif = [ 'mac=...., bridge=xenbr0' ]

Maybe there is another, better way for my purpose, anyway? The reason why
I want to add another IP address to eth0 is that I want to be able to
access the domUs on eth0 from eth1 and eth2 which are in a different non-
routable subnet.
I had already tried by attaching eth1 and eth2 to the bridge but this
killed the networking completely. (as I said, I'm not experienced in
bridging ;-)

Thanks,

Kai

--