Re: [Xen-users] network-bridge breaks networking when eth0:1 is added

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 04:55:55 +0700:

> No, that won't work.

It works fine with my original setup and on my other machine. I think even
without forwarding switched on. That's why I think it works via
broadcasting.

Are you famliar with the difference between
> bridge and route?
> I believe you have two alternatives :
>
> (1) Setup multiple bridges
> For example, br0 for eth0 and br1 for eth1. Then you assign two NICs
> to domU, each NIC on different bridge.

That's what I did and mentioned in my posting your replied to. That works
in one direction (dom0 eth1 -> domU), but not from domU eth1 -> dom0. I
don't need that second variant, but it's somehow "disturbing" that it
doesn't work.

Think of it like having two
> switches: one switch for eth0, another for eth1. In this scenario domU
> will be like another dom0 in that it have a "private connection" to
> third machine via second NIC.
>
> (2) setup static routing on dom0 and domU.
> This way traffic from domU to thrid machine can go something like this:
> domU eth0 -> dom0 xenbr0 -> dom0 eth1 -> third machine eth1.

I thought about that earlier, but it's not clear to me what I should set
as a gateway then. A static route for the subnet on third machine eth1
with gateway IP dom0 eth1?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany