[Xen-users] Does I/O from Dom0 skip the PV backend drivers ?

I am trying to determine the amount of overhead (if any) that a PV guest
incurs as compared to running on bare metal.  I was thinking of running some
performance tests on both a bare metal system and then in a PV guest â but I
only have one machine.  I am trying to figure out if  booting from a xen to
non-xen kernel is needed in order to get real numbers.

So the question boils down to â When Dom0 performs I/O does it go directly
to the physical device driver or does it also route through the PV backend
drivers ?

Also, my assumption is that the xen hypervisor has no role in any I/O
operations so it being present or not should have almost no impact on I/O
performance.

Thanks for any info.

Joe