Re: [Xen-users] domU inside another domU?

  • To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 03:39:09 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 01 May 2009 13:40:26 -0700

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Nuno Loureiro Ferreira
<nunolf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My idea was to create a domU with enough resources (say, 6 vcpu's and 2 GB
> RAM per vcpu).
> Then, I can give to the students the root passwd for this domU, and they can
> start to build some VM's inside of it.
> Is this idea feasible?

A similar question was on the list several times. The general answer
would be "yes", provided that :
- your system supports running HVM guest
- you give students access to HVM guest
- students can only create PV guests

If your system does not support HVM guest you may be able to get
similar result using Virtualbox or Vmware.

Whether or not the performance is acceptable is another matter though,
so you should try it yourself.

Regards,

Fajar