RE: [Xen-users] MSSQL and Xen performance

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 14:38:38 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 07 May 2009 14:39:33 -0700

Hey Chris,

Well, for one, consultants don't refuse to do things.  If this one is, you have
a problem already.  Beat him until he understands what he's being paid to do.
:)

I've had MSSQL on XEN before, and it worked fine - but an answer to your
questions is going to depend on a lot of things:

Version of XEN
XEN server/farm specs
Storage Backend
Load on the MSSQL server
CPU for the MSSQL server instance
Memory for the MSSQL server instance
Plan to use PV drivers?
Etc...

You do have to accept some performance loss over bare metal, especially with
HVM (fully virtualized) domains.  I've found Virtuozzo (nonfree) to be
generally a more effective Windows Server virtualization platform.  That said,
I use XEN for several major production deployments of Windows and Linux hosts.

Best Regards
Nathan Eisenberg
Sr. Systems Administrator
Atlas Networks, LLC