Re: [Xen-users] unable to start an HVM domain

Thank you for your reply, Fajar!

You wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up and run a kernel (Windows XP)
>> fully virtualized, so far without success.
>> Here's the situation:
>> -- a fresh install of CentOS 5.3
>> -- an ISO image of the Windows installation CD
>> -- using /usr/bin/virt-install to create
>>  a disk image and xm configuration file,
>
>Can you post the resulting configuration file?

Digging into the Python scripts, I find that the
configuration is placed into XML and not into
a configuration file of the kind I normally feed to "xm".
I've appended that XML configuration to this message.

Also, noting that the problem occurs in a Python function
named virDomainCreateLinux() , I tried the same
experiment with a Linux installation ISO rather than Windows;
same result.

>> virDomainCreateLinux() failed POST operation failed: (xend.err 'Device 0
>> (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.')
>
>Usually this is because:
>- you assign non-existent bridge, or
>- udevd is dead, you need to restart it

"ps" reports that "/sbin/udevd -d" is running.
"ifconfig" reports that "eth0" exists.
Is that as it should be?

<domain type='xen'>
  <name>virtC</name>
  <currentMemory>524288</currentMemory>
  <memory>524288</memory>
  <uuid>f3a863b1-52a7-0848-b97b-86d0c1bc694d</uuid>
  <os>
    <type arch='i686'>hvm</type>
    <loader>/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader</loader>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
  </os>
  <features>
  </features>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>destroy</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <vcpu>1</vcpu>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm</emulator>
    <console device='pty'/>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <source file='/root/virtC.img'/>
      <target dev='hda'/>