Re: [Xen-users] Can't update xenstore for a few domUs

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 23:58:44 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:01:30 -0700

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can't xm delete as the domu is running. What exactly is xm delete
> supposed to accomplish? I just want to update the xenstore settings for
> startup and shutdown for the domu.

Older versions of xen and libvirtd (like the one in RHEL5) stores its
configuration by default as files on /etc/xen. This means that changes
only need to go to config file. To get domains to autostart, you can
place a symlink to its config in /etc/xen/auto as there's a special
service (xendomains) that autostart domUs whose config is in that
directory.

Newer version (like the one you have) uses xend to manage domU
configuration. It's created by "xm new" and modified by commands like
"xm" or "virsh" that can change (most) configuration online. The
problem is I'm not aware of any command that can change
"on_xend_start" and "on_xend_stop". The "clean" way to change it is to
delete domU config using "xm delete" (which requires domU to be
shutdown) and create it again with "xm new". It might not have
xendomains service anymore (at least opensolaris doesn't).

The config is actually stored on /var/lib/xend/domains, but I
recommend you don't edit it manually. Last time I tried the changes
there are only picked up when xend is (re)started, which in your case
should also shut down domU :P Better do it the "clean" way.

If your distro is like RHEL (in that it has xendomains service and
also support xend-managed domains), you could choose any method
(/etc/xen or xend-managed) to store domU config when creating domUs
manually. Personally I prefer /etc/xen method as it's more manageable.

Hopefully others can help you more.

--
Fajar