Re: [Xen-users] Managing Dom0 load?

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:43:26 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 03:44:05 -0700

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Berni Elbourn
<berni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> Most likely you're I/O bound. Try:
>> - iostat -x 3, see which disk/block device are busy
>> - xm top. Should show you which dom uses most I/O (works for PV guest
>> or HVM with PV drivers)
>>

> Hi Fajar, Yes yes the load is caused by using stress in one of the domu
> using -hdd parameter but it also has -cpu.

Is it?  from what you wrote the most on dom0 is disk.

> No matter the cpu configuration it seems most of the load goes on the first
> core.

AFAIK you can't spread disk I/O load to serveral CPUs. Because that's
not the root cause of the problem. You can :
- add more disk, to increase total available I/O throughput
- limit disk usage. If it's domU disk you probably want to put domU's
storage on LVM and use something like dm-ioband :
http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/dm-ioband/

--
Fajar