RE: [Xen-users] Intel Quad NIC made visible in guest -> system crash

  • To: "Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 11:38:24 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 04:39:10 -0700

>we have two Intel Quad Nic 82576, PCI ID 8086:10E8 and use the igb
>driver 1.3.19.3 on Debian 5.0.1.
>
>I used the pciback.hide XEN kernel parameter and made on of the NIC's
>interfaces available in a DomU.
>
>Now, when I am starting the VM, the system crashes (log attached)

W/o doing any research myself, I vaguely remember someone here having
similar results and suggesting that some nics have a design such that
some ports are tied together as a result of sharing components on the
nic itself. Basically, you may have a nic that is really only two
independent nics, each with two ports so you have to pass two in at
once etc.

A quick search or test should validate this...

hth,
jlc