[Xen-users] network usage gathering

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mike Denning <msd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:06:27 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:07:09 -0700

I've run into a problem gathering usage for my xen virtual systems. With my old model I used to gather all network usage via my cisco devices using the the counters for each port. Each system had it's own port on the switch, and I tracked network usage accordingly. Now that I'm using xen for virtual systems, and multiple vm's share the same switch port, i'm not exactly sure what my best option is for tracking usage.

I thought I may be able to setup vlans on the switch, and bind each vm to a different vlan using vconfig... but it seems like there has to be a better solution than that. Has anyone done anything like this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-- Mike