RE: [Xen-users] Xen Networking and bonded interfaces on Debia Lenny

Thank you for your assistance gentlemen, by using network-dummy I've been able to get networking working in Dom0, however, since I have no bridge, not in the DomUs. The OS is Debian Lenny, so if anyone knows how to set up such a bridge manually, I'd definitely appreciate the help! Thanks,

Joshua Boniface
(289) 208 2830
www.elementalpc.net

> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Networking and bonded interfaces on Debia Lenny
> From: echo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: joshua.boniface@xxxxxxxx
> CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 11:31:21 +0800
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 19:36 +0000, Joshua Boniface wrote:
> > Greetings all. This has been an ongoing issue for me for a few months,
> > and I've been trying to get an answer.
> >
> > My server has two NICs, and I want to set up the following:
> >
> > NICs (x2) -> bond (mode 5) -> Xen Bridge -> Doms
>
> A little background for you, the purpose of network-bridge is to start
> bridged networking when xend starts and take it down when xend stops.
> Its a creature comfort that allows you to use Xen on your desktop
> without going though the hassle of modifying / restoring your system
> network configuration every time you want to use Xen.
>
> In a production (server) environment, its much much better to just allow
> your operating system to control networking. network-bridge is not smart
> enough to deal with complex configurations.
>
> To take network-bridge out of the picture, try this:
>
> cat << EOF > /etc/xen/scripts/network-dummy
> #!/bin/sh
>
> exit 0
> EOF
>
> chmod +x /etc/xen/network-dummy
>
> Check to be sure that the file is not already there prior to creating
> it.
>
> Then, edit /etc/xend-config.sxp , look for:
>
> (network-script network-bridge)
>
> Change it to:
>
> (network-script network-dummy)
>
> At this point, xend will not try to do anything to networking when it
> starts. You can then configure the bond / bridge via whatever means is
> sensible for your OS.
>
> If you let us know what OS you are using, someone can help you with that
> part too.
>
> Cheers,
> --Tim

Create a cool, new character for your Windows Live™ Messenger. Check it out