RE: [Xen-users] iscsi/nfs/aoe SAN storage for Xen

  • To: "Nathan Eisenberg" <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:29:35 -0400
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 18:32:28 -0700

There's a lot of bad marketing out there for sure--Coraid doesn't have a lock
on that by any means.  There's nothing technically wrong with Equallogic units;
we have one of those too.

My advice is:  Try each out for yourselves.  We did exactly that.  What
eventually sold me on Coraid is that they "Just Work" and I could get perhaps
10 of those for the price of a single competitor's unit.  Plus they are easy to
stack for growth and reliability.

I'd be happy to share our experiences further (off list) to anyone interested.

Really though, I don't understand why AoE isn't more popular.  The main
drawbacks I can tell is that it isn't a standard and has somewhat limited
driver support.  But AoE works perfectly well with Linux and Xen, which are
mainly what we use today.

Jeff