RE: [Xen-users] Install Xen on Intel Atom Processor

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:41:15 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:42:17 -0700

Eh, it's all about the application.   In terms of nonrecurring costs (parts)
and operating costs (power,cooling(power)), it often makes far more sense to go
with a low power, efficient solution.  The highest performance/$ ratio is a
great way of finding the sweet spot when a lot of power is needed, and cost
isn't an issue.

Consider that I can fill a 42U rack with 1U atom servers, and use a single 20A
circuit.  Doing the same with Core2 servers, you'd be looking at closer to 3 or
even 4 20A circuits.  The end result would be significantly more powerful using
the Core2s, but far, far, more expensive to operate - and to no gain, if CPU
performance is not a concern.

Thank You,
Nathan Eisenberg
Sr. Systems Administrator