Re: [Xen-users] OT: OEM Win2k3 as domU License question

  • To: Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:42:51 +0530
  • Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:13:31 -0700

OEM copy basically accompanies a PC which has windows of that version
pre-installed. The basis of an oem license is that the pc seller is
buying windows at a discount to its mrp because of his repetitive
nature of business purchases. he is supposed to install it on hardware
and give the oem pack to the customer, if required for reinstallation
etc.

proper question is who is an oem?if you are in the business u r an
oem. if you hv bought an oem cd with a mouse or even a pc with linux
installed, your license is invalid....those windows boys hire lawyers
for big money ;-) read through fine print!

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Nick Anderson<nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> James Pifer wrote:
>>
>> I'm helping a friend at his small office. He needs to use Windows 2k3
>> for a specific application. I have a xen server setup so we can run a
>> couple linux servers to do some other tasks.
>> To save money he picked up Windows 2k3, but it's an OEM System Builder
>> Pack. Like any agreement, reading it is very confusing, so I'm afraid to
>> crack it open. Anyone know if I can install and activate this ok in a
>> domU? And, is it legal to do this way?
>>

> I am no authority on Microsoft licensing. But to my knowledge you can buy an
> OEM copy as long as you purchase hardware with it.  People used to get
> around this by just purchasing a mouse. But as far as I know if you have a
> valid license for windows you can install it in a vm without legal
> ramifications. Thats saying of course you don't install it in multiple vms.

~~~EOF~~~