Re: [Xen-users] Re: [quagga-users 10975] Re: Quagga on Xen - Latency / Bandwidth?

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 05:06:14PM +0300, Pasi KÃrkkÃinen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 03:19:44PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 02:57:04PM -0400, Alexis Rosen wrote:
> > > But the question is still of significant importance to a lot of Quagga
> > > users. Thus, I suggest that it is an appropriate topic for the list.
> > >
> > > Here's my earlier reply, which I (again, damnit) failed to send to the
> > > list from an authorized address:
> >
> > Well i haven't tried xen myself, but from what I hve read I/O
> > performance is not as fast as native would be.  kvm seems to be the only
> > virtualization system with just about native I/O speed.  paravirt is
> > close too, but requires of course a paravirt compatible guest.
> >

> Getting a bit offtopic, but I believe Xen paravirt guests are still faster
> on I/O speed than KVM guests (using virtio drivers), based on recent IBM
> benchmarks.

Well I haven't tried xen.  I am certainly not complaining about the
speed of kvm though.  The e1000 emulation is very fast and works well
enough for my needs.

And I did mean paravirt was close to native hardware speed, not that it
was close to kvm speed.

--
Len Sorensen