Re: [Xen-users] Backups !

  • To: Paras pradhan <pradhanparas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Rob Aronson <riaronson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:40:59 -0700
  • Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:41:44 -0700

You need the GFS to manage VM failover so you are stuck with there although you still  have other options.

In my estimation the best method is to separate the VMs from the data, use a traditional filesystem and san based snapshots either with or without a volume manager for the data. Then you have many options for offhost backups. I noticed that VMware is suggesting very much the same thing in their latest documentation. They suggest that a raw device mapping for data volumes on a SAN for data volumes to facilitate native SAN snapshots which can be presented to a backup host.

The operating system images should be fairly generic anyway, but if you need to back those up just a traditional rsync can do the trick from within the VM itself.

Rob