Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.4.1-rc10: Cannot restore/migrate 32-bit HVM domU (W2K3 Server) on 64-bit dom0

xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/31/2009 01:55:09 PM:

> Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.4.1-rc10: Cannot restore/migrate 32-bit HVM
> domU (W2K3 Server) on 64-bit dom0
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:19:04AM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 08:00:21PM -0400, Joshua West wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I've been attempting to get 'xm restore' (and thus 'xm migrate') to
work
> > > for a 32-bit HVM domU on a 64-bit dom0 running Xen 3.4.1-rc10.  Has
> > > anyone else been able to do so?  I can boot the VM and work within it
> > > just fine.  The 'xm save' command also functions properly; issue is
just
> > > with 'restore' and therefore 'migrate'.

I too am attempting to live migrate a 32bit Guest from a 64 bit Dom-0 to a
32bit Dom-0 and haven't succeeded yet. Is this possible?

>From the logs I found that there is a problem in restoring the virtual
machine on the 32 bit Dom-0.

> > What dom0 kernel you are running?
> >
> > If something else than linux-2.6.18-xen.hg please try with that
instead.

I am running the kernel ( 2.6.18-128.el5xen) which came with RHEL5.3

> Also if you can reproduce this problem running linux-2.6.18-xen on dom0,
> then please send an email to xen-devel about this. Keir wants to release
Xen
> 3.4.1 final early next week, and this sounds like something that might be
> good to check before the release.
>
> If this problem happens running for example Debian lenny 2.6.26-xen
> kernel in dom0,
> or some other 2.6.27, 2.6.29, 2.6.30 dom0 kernel then it _could_ be a bug
in
> them, and not in Xen.
>
> -- Pasi
>

> > > When I watch the system via "xm top" during the restoration process,
> > > do notice the memory allocation for the VM increase all the way to
about
> > > 1024MB.  Suddenly, the amount of memory allocated to the VM decreases
by
> > > a bit, and then finally the VM disappears.
> > >
> > > It may be of interest that I don't have issues
> > > saving/restoring/migrating 32-bit PV domU's on this same set of
64-bit
> > > dom0's.  This seems to be an issue only with HVM domU's.

May be true, I too have observed this on my 64bit Dom-0 where I am running
32bit Dom-U's. I guess they are running under HVM. Little clarification is
needed here.. Can we run 32 Dom-U's under PV on 64 bit Dom-0 ?

Thanks,
Harsha

and any attachments. Thank you