Re: [Xen-users] Fully virtualized domU Linux network (VLAN) trouble

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Jan Bakuwel<jan.bakuwel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Also, if you absolutely have to use HVM guest, you'd get better
>> performance if you use PV drivers (which AFAIK, only works on 2.6.18
>> kernel).
>>

> There are PV drivers for Linux as well? I thought only for Windows?

Yes, there's also PV drivers for Linux.It's (ironically) HARDER to use
compared to James Harper's GPLPV for Windows, as the Linux version:
- only works for 2.6.18
- adds new interface and (possibly) block device
- requires certain kernel boot parameter and rebuilding initrd to have
block device works correctly

>> I'd start with trying to get HVM domU's traffic work correctly,
>> preferably with PV drivers. Depending on your kernel version, it might
>> involve changing domU kernel. Once that work, start with the vlans.
>> One of the things to check is
>> /proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-filter-vlan-tagged
>>

> I've meanwhile discovered it must be something to do with the Linux HVM
> drivers; when running the same userland with the Xen kernel (ie.
> paravirtualised), all works as expected.

Well, in that case you might find some luck using another kernel,
possibly compiling your own :)

--
Fajar