Re: [Xen-users] paravirtualization on linux domU

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Alberto Asuero
Arroyo<albertoasuero@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I always have the same question...
>
> It's possible install linux domU by  2 ways:
>
> 1) like a windows domU (using  distribution's cd or dvd and vnc)

Short answer: No.

Long answer:
- yes, if it's a HVM domU
- mostly no, if you use PV domU. This is mainly because
--> the Linux installer that I know of is having problems mapping the
ISO as cdrom device.
--> Linux install/live CD/DVD usually don't have -xen kernel.
So it's installer and packaging issue. This might change in the future though.

Note that Opensolaris can use CD/DVD for installation for both HVM and
PV domU installation.

> 2) with  xen-tools and xen-create-image. With this way it's necessary use a
> kernel with support for xen domU.
>

> Does the option 2 use a kernel with domU support to avoid the
> paravirtualization?

In terms of PV domU installation, these tools (xen-create-image,
debootstrap, etc.) act as replacement for standard installation
method.

> What is the best option?why?

Depends on your needs and preference. For RHEL-based distros, the
recommended way is to use virt-install using http mirror. For
Debian/Ubuntu-based, I prefer to use debootstrap plus manual
customizations.

--
Fajar