Re: [Xen-users] Poor network performance on Win2k3 DomU

  • To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • From: Juan Pablo Torres <juanpablotorres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:50:09 -0300
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 05:51:00 -0700

Thanks for the reply;
I know that PV drivers improve performance, but in this case. It is unusable without those drivers and barely usable with them, and that´s not normal.
Both, packet offloading and checksumming are disabled. But the problem persist.
I´ve notice that the problem is with file sharing, ´cause i can access those windows servers through RDP, prefectly well.
I´ve installed a Win 2008 Server, but it does exactly the same.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 02:36:13PM -0300, Juan Pablo Torres wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I?m having this problem with Red Hat 5.4 running on a HP ProLiant BL460c G6.
>
> I have two windows 2k3 x64, but network performance is extremely bad without
> PV drivers, i mean, it takes a lot of time to access any location and if the
> path has many folders it can?t conect.
> Redhat provides some PV dirvers. I?ve installed them, but with no
> improvements.
> I tested another  DomU, with the gplpv_fre_wnet_AMD64_0.10.0.86 drivers, and
> the results where better, but still slow.
> Network on Dom0 works perfect. And file transfer between Dom0 and DomU works
> great too.
> I?ve tested a Win 32bit also, but the problem persist.
> what could possibly be the reason?
> thanks in advance;

Without PV drivers you should have model=e1000 for the guest, dunno if
this is the default in RHEL 5.4. That's the best performing Qemu
emulated NIC.

PV drivers should be faster/fastest though, since there's no need for
any kind of emulation then.

Did you play with offloading settings, or try disabling checksumming on
the gplpv adapter settinst in Windows?

-- Pasi