Re: [Xen-users] Frequent para (Linux) domU hangs

Hi Simon,

> Sounds like a common problem with xenconsoled
>
> This is the advice I had from Ferenc Wagner on 18 Jul 2009
>
>>  > Also, if it were that, wouldn't I expect to see other guests on the
>>  > same host lock up ?
>>
>> It isn't that simple.  Other guests lock up when they fill their
>> console buffers, apparently.  But new guests seem to work fine for
>> me.  Just try it, when you next experience this: stop xend, kill
>> xenconsoled, start xends.  Don't touch xenstored!  If everything
>> returns to normal, then this was it.  If not, then something else. :)
>
> It's worked for me every time.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try that next time a VM hangs. I've read
some reports that restarting xend with running VMs might not be safe
(others say it is?).

It won't fix my problem though: getting hanging production VMs going
again still requires interaction (restart of xenconsoled versus restart
of VM). Are there fixes available for xenconsoled?

Having said that I did notice console buffers filling up a while ago and
fixed that problem by making sure that log messages do not end up on the
(xen) console. When I connect to the console, I can see that indeed no
log messages have been sent there; it just sits at the login: prompt and
plays dead.

regards,
Jan