Re: Help needed running an X11 environment inside a DomU (Re: [Xen-users]Creating a paravirtualized guest with Xen 3.4.1 and Centos 5.3 (64bit))

James,

thanks for that explanation. I have a DomU kernel with FB support, and I am now able to configure X to use the /dev/fb0 device for graphical output (although only 800*600 at the moment, but let's see how to get that configured properly).

James Dingwall wrote:
You need to have CONFIG_XEN_FRAMEBUFFER support in the domU kernel and
create a virtual framebuffer device in the domU config vfb = [
'type=vnc,vncunused=1' ] (see the example configuration files for other
parameters).  X then needs to use the fbdev driver.  In this example you
would connect to the graphical interface with a VNC client.
As stated above, that works - but it requires me to have a special Xorg.conf when using my DomU as a PV image, and another Xorg.conf for HVM use, as both use different HW devices.

Without this requirement, I could boot up the unmodified VM without further modifications from outside (when having a distro which comes with xvc0 being configured correctly in /etc/inittab and /etc/securetty), but without a modified Xorg conf, I will not be able to start X in the PV guest. So at some point a modification inside the VM has to happen to migrate a formerly HVM guest to PV.

Regards,
Martin