RE: [Xen-users] place to download up2date images

i use debian as Dom-0
trying to get ubuntu as a Vm running within xen.

From: Grant McWilliams [grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 2:45 PM
To: Robbie A. Garrett
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] place to download up2date images

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Robbie A. Garrett <RGarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
well...   anything!

i was trying ubunto server 9 as the iso and made a 2gb HD as the base image.

my deployment tool is xen-create-image which mounts the .img and copyes files from within one .img to another.

So you're using Xen-tools. This also means you're probably using Ubuntu as the DomU? There's problems with Ubuntu as DomUs these days since
Ubuntu has all but dropped Xen support. The way around that is to use all HVM DomUs but then you lose some of the value of having a hypervisor that can do paravirtualization. I have an Ubuntu 9.04 DomU but I had to use a Debian Lenny kernel to get it to work right. There is a 9.04 disk image on stacklet.net though that has a basic kernel in it.

Xen works best with Debian, Suse and CentOS/Fedora/RHEL.

I have a tutorial to install CentOS 5 as a Xen DomU. It's a cut down version of the howto on the CentOS Wiki. I use it for my students who want to get their feet wet with Xen - http://grantmcwilliams.com/tech/virtualization/xen-howtos/198-create-xen-virtual-machine

It uses a kickstart image on my site to set installation options and installs off the CentOS mirrors. I use the resulting image for all of my DomUs in production.

Grant McWilliams