RE: [Xen-users] streaming server on a virtual machine.

We're running a virtualized streaming server without any problems.
Our server provides flash, windows media, real, quicktime and shoutcast
platforms without any hickups so far.

Naturally the feasibility of virtualizing a streaming server depends on how
heavy load it is put under; in our case this server has a sustained user
load of 30Mbps based on traffic and it doesn't generate really any load at
all on the server hardware yet. Also no haven't seen any performance issues
with network or disk IO.

There are some half a dozen other domU's running on the same system.

The flash streams are provided via Red5, but that's just one of the services
the system is offering, so I'd say virtualization of a media server is fine,
but naturally your mileage may vary; if your hardware server is running
close to its limits (be it IO or CPU), then virtualization (to the same
level of hardware) wouldn't make any sense as mentioned earlier.

cheers,
  Antti Kanes