Re: [Xen-users] xen networking Fedora 8

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Bojana Petrovic <bojanap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:07:28 +0200
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 02:08:19 -0700

Thanks for answering; I have just a few more questions to make sure that I understood.

If I connect all virtual machines to the bridge that is made with OS's networking script, do my virtual machines get IP addresses over the DHCP? I tried something like that and I didn’t manage. I want virtual machines to be reachable from outside networks. Can I somehow configure tap0 or vif11.0 interface inside domU’s to make them available in the outside world?

Sorry if the question sound simple for you :-)

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Bojana Petrovic <bojanap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm running Xen on Fedora 8 and I'm trying to make virtual machines
> communicate between each others. On CentOS I was able to make
> network-bridge-custom file and to point out on him from xend-config.sxp
> file. That file looked like something like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #/etc/xen/scripts/network-
> bridge $1 netdev=eth0 bridge=xenbr0 vifnum=0
> /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge-noifup $1 netdev=eth1 bridge=xenbrBC
> vifnum=1
> /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge-noifup $1 netdev=eth2 bridge=xenbrBD
> vifnum=2

If it's getting too complicated to handle, just use OS's networking
script to create bridge and simply comment-out network-script entry on
xend-config.sxp.

> After that in ifconfig I was able to see new bridge interfaces xenbrBC and
> xenbrBD. In virtual machines config files I assigned MAC addresses to those
> bridges, and communication betweem virtual domains worked perfect!
> How to make something like this in Fedora?

Sorry, I've never used F8.
What does "brctl show" shows using the default setup? I'm guessing it
has something to do with the fact that default bridge name changed
from xenbr0 to eth0. Again, I'd recommend creating bridges using OS's
networking script (/etc/sycsonfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*)

> I can see, that when I start virtual machine I have more two new interfaces
> tap0 and vif11.0! They are assigned to virbr0 :
>
> brctl show
> bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> br0             8000.000000000000       no
> virbr0          8000.c2a429e6b58f       no              tap0
>
>      vif11.0
> I'm not sure what exactly to do with these two interfaces? I'm trying to use
> network-bridge-custom here on Fedora 8 but it seems that it doesn't work.
> Does anybody know how to make full connection between virtual machines?

virbr0 is created by libvirt. tap0 and vif11.0 is HVM domU's
interfaces. Don't know about br0.

--
Fajar