Re: [Xen-users] should packages be removed before installing xen from source?

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 16:23 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> > > I have some xen servers running on sles10sp2. I'd like to try and
> > run
> > > the latest stable release from source to see if it improves any
> > issues
> > > I'm having. Should I remove the xen packages before installing from
> > > source?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > James
> >
> > Yes, you will almost certainly need to do this, as the locations for
> > source file installation and the packages are different, and this can
> > lead to (and has led to, in my experience) Xen getting confused about
> > which Python files it needs to run.  Removing the Xen packages should
> > help resolve these issues.  Once caveat to this is that you'll
> > probably have to build *everything* - packages like virt-manager and
> > libvirt require the Xen packages to be installed, so you should either
> > plan on building new Xen packages and installing those, or making sure
> > you download and compile code for all of the components, not just the
> > xen-* packages.
> >
> > -Nick

I installed the new 2.6.18-xen kernel. I did:
make menuconfig (basically took defaults)
make dist
make install

This updated /boot/grub/menu.lst. When I try and boot the new kernel I
get his error:

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

If you google this you get 1000's of hits, most seem to have something
to do with windows. Anybody know how to fix this for my situation?

Thanks,
James