Re: [Xen-users] should packages be removed before installing xen from source?

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 15:00 +0200, PaweÅ Brodacki wrote:
> 2009/10/22 James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > I installed the new 2.6.18-xen kernel. I did:
> > make menuconfig (basically took defaults)
> > make dist
> > make install
> >
> > This updated /boot/grub/menu.lst. When I try and boot the new kernel I
> > get his error:
> >
> > Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format
> >
> > If you google this you get 1000's of hits, most seem to have something
> > to do with windows. Anybody know how to fix this for my situation?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > James
> >

> A shot in the dark (I'm very green Xen-wise) -- different format of
> the kernel executable? What does
> file /path/to/kernel
> say about your newest kernel and what about the one you used to boot from?
>
> Regards,
> PaweÅ

They appear to be the same type:

# file vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen
vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression
# file vmlinuz-2.6.16.60-0.42.5-xen
vmlinuz-2.6.16.60-0.42.5-xen: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression

James