Re: [Xen-users] should packages be removed before installing xen from source?

>> > I have some xen servers running on sles10sp2. I'd like to try and
>> run
>> > the latest stable release from source to see if it improves any
>> issues
>> > I'm having. Should I remove the xen packages before installing
from
>> > source?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > James
>>
>> Yes, you will almost certainly need to do this, as the locations
for
>> source file installation and the packages are different, and this
can
>> lead to (and has led to, in my experience) Xen getting confused
about
>> which Python files it needs to run.  Removing the Xen packages
should
>> help resolve these issues.  Once caveat to this is that you'll
>> probably have to build *everything* - packages like virt-manager
and
>> libvirt require the Xen packages to be installed, so you should
either
>> plan on building new Xen packages and installing those, or making
sure
>> you download and compile code for all of the components, not just
the
>> xen-* packages.
>>
>> -Nick
>
> Nick,
>
> I uninstalled all the xen packages, including all the supporting
virt
> stuff. I installed a newer kernel-xen and kernel-source. I copied
xen.gz
> from 3.4.1 to /boot and then booted the new kernel.
>
> When I try to make dist on 3.4.1 it errors out saying it can't find
the
> source files:
> make[2]: Entering directory `/install/xen-3.4.1'
> set -e ; \
> if [ ! -e linux-2.6.18-xen.hg/.hg ] ; then \
>     __repo=$(sh buildconfigs/select-repository
> linux-2.6.18-xen.hg .:..) ; \
>     if [ -d ${__repo} ] ; then \
>         echo "Linking ${__repo} to linux-2.6.18-xen.hg." ; \
>         ln -s ${__repo} linux-2.6.18-xen.hg ; \
>     else \
>         echo "Cloning ${__repo} to linux-2.6.18-xen.hg." ; \
>         hg clone ${__repo#file://} linux-2.6.18-xen.hg ; \
>     fi ; \
> else \
>     __parent=$(hg -R linux-2.6.18-xen.hg path default) ; \
>     echo "Pulling changes from ${__parent} into linux-2.6.18-xen.hg."
;
> \
>     hg -R linux-2.6.18-xen.hg pull ${__parent} ; \
> fi
> select-repository: Searching `.:..' for linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
> select-repository: Ignoring `.'
> Unable to determine path to Linux source tree.
> Falling back to linux-2.6.18-xen Mercurial repository.
> Cloning http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg to
> linux-2.6.18-xen.hg.
> [...]

It's actually looking for the Mercurial command so that it can download
the latest version of the Linux 2.6.18 kernel from the repository.  You
can either download the source yourself, download the Mercurial and have
it download the source, or you can use various arguments to the make
command to avoid building the Xen/Linux kernel at all.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.