Re: [Xen-users] how to mount domU images on dom0

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:31:02 +0530, Tapas Mishra <tapas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the reply by the time you replied luckily without any
> logical reason the xm console mydomU had booted
> then I executed
> apt-get install ubuntu-desktop linux-image-virtual lvm2 user-setup
> it took an hour to do a lot of downloads and since then it has been
> setting up a lot of things which I feel are the desktop environments
> of \
> Ubuntu since you mentioned Debian so I am curious to know in terms of
> stability since today only I was able to finish downloading all my
> DVDs of Debian so in terms of stability did you felt it better than
> Ubuntu or any other distribution if I talk about Xen

When the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS version came out, I did a fresh install rather
than an upgrade and moved to Xen as a virtualization platform.  It was at
this time that I encountered a lot of issues that required patching to make
Ubuntu behave in the virtualized environment.

Because of the patching I had done, each time an apt-get upgrade updated
my Xen installation, I had to reapply the patches for Ubuntu.  The
stability issues I had weren't specific to Xen.  Nearly each time I
upgraded Ubuntu, one of my underlying services (DNS, Email, Web Server,
etc.) would go offline for what appeared to be mysterious reasons.
Although I really like Ubuntu in a desktop environment, I began to feel
that for my production servers, Ubuntu was a little too bleading edge.  As
a result, I moved to Debian Lenny and have not experienced nearly as many
issues with package upgrades.  It just works.

I use the site How to Forge as a reference when beginning new projects.
There are several tutorials for various distributions.  There is a tutorial
for installing Xen onto Debian Lenny at the following link.  There are
similar tutorials for Ubuntu as well if you decide to stick with that
distribution.

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-xen-on-debian-lenny-amd64

If you feel like trying Debian, you may want to try the minimal Debian
package (http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/).  It is a much smaller download
but requires an Internet connection during installation.

If you have questions that aren't Xen specific, you can feel free to
contact me off list.  Within reason, I can try to point you to resources
that I have found useful.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Role: udev
>>> Â Â Â File: /etc/xen-tools/role.d/udev
>>> Role script completed.
>>>
>>> Creating Xen configuration file
>>> Done
>>> Setting up root password
>>> Enter new UNIX password:
>>> Retype new UNIX password:
>>> passwd: password updated successfully
>>> All done
>>> root@abhitech-desktop:~# Started new Xen guest: mydomU
>>> [/etc/xen/mydomU.cfg]
>>>

>>> Logfile produced at:
>>> Â Â Â Â/var/log/xen-tools/mydomU.log
>>>
>>> Now here is the problem since the terminal on which it happened cursor
>>> is blinking it is not even giving me the shell to log in or execute
>>> any command so someone on IRC suggested me to mount the images
>>>
>> I too started out using Xen with Ubuntu for both Dom0 and DomU
machines.
>> At the time, I was using the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS version and used the
distro
>> specific install through apt-get. ÂAnyhow, I encountered a lot of
>> problems
>> with console logins. ÂAfter searching the Internet, I found I wasn't
>> alone.
>> I discovered a lot of patches required to fix login issues as well as
>> problems with the shutdown of Ubuntu domains. ÂYou have mentioned both
>> of
>> these problems in your recent posts.
>>
>> I have sinced moved to Debian Lenny for Dom0 and all DomU machines.
>> ÂThat
>> change has made a huge difference in the stability I have experienced
>> with
>> Xen.
>>
>> However, I still had to add configuration variables to my config files
>> ensure the console matches between Xen and my Debian virtual machine.
>> ÂThe
>> instructions I used were on the Xen wiki website and was listed as a
>> known
>> issue with Debian.
>>
>> Despite those configuration changes, I sometimes still see the blank
>> console as you described when using the xm console command. ÂWhenever
>> this
>> occurs, I simply hit the enter key on the keyboard and the login prompt
>> shows up on my console.
>>
>> It is by no means scientific and I don't have a technical explanation
for
>> why this occurs. ÂBut it works and that is good enough for me in most
>> situations.
>>>
>>> Before I do that Âxm list shows me the following output
>>>
>>> root@abhitech-desktop:~# xm list
>>> Name                    ÂID  Mem VCPUs   ÂState
>>> Time(s)
>>> Domain-0 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 0 Â 364 Â Â 1 Â Â r-----
>>> 2547.1
>>> mydomU Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 2 Â Â64 Â Â 1 Â Â -b----
>>
>>> 9.5
>>> root@abhitech-desktop:~#
>>>

>>> and if I execute xm console mydomU then it gave me erro mydomU is not

>>> 719M Â./root.img
>>> 4.0K Â./swap.img