Re: [Xen-users] Time diferrence between dom0 and domU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Matthieu Patou <mat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:07:22 +0300
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:08:04 -0800

On 12/11/2009 12:11, Bartosz Lis wrote:
Dnia wtorek, 10 listopada 2009 o 22:03:23 Matthieu Patou napisaÅ(a):
Hello Jordi,
I noticed the same problem and that's pretty nasty on HVM host running
windows as the system can't login on domain by defaut due to too big
time drift.

I worked around by adding ~ 6 minutes to the time of the domU at startup.

Matthieu,

It looks like your xen wallclock differs ~6 min from dom0 time. This
difference may change slightly but noticeably after some time, say, a month.
Better workaround would be synchronizing your windows to some NTP server. See
the discussion on xen-devel:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-11/msg00505.html

Hi Dnia,

Thanks for the tips, I forgot to mention that this windows hvm is part of a domain so I already get the ntp synchronisation as Windows AD rely on very accurate clocks (<5minutes drift). So in the long run my clocks are in sync but the very few minutes after the boot without the rtc_timeoffset=-(time.altzone) + 6 I've a too big drift and the some stuff do not work properly (ie. startup script for workstation/server).

Note: I use time.altzone, as localtime = 1 is not working anymore for me (since xen 3.2).

Matthieu.