[Xen-users] Compiled DomU doesn't boot on CentOS 5.4 Dom0 -- (kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!)

Hi,

I installed CentOS 5.4 with virtualization enabled, and Dom0 boots up perfectly.
However, when I tried to boot a DomU that I compiled based on xen-unstable and
CentOS' config, it
makes no success on booting. I highly appreciate if anyone could help me on
this.

In summary, the booting process of DomU hangs with the following as the last
lines:
"SCSI subsystem initialized
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
Adaptec aacraid driver (1.1-5[2409]-mh2)
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"

Below are my compiling and booting details, and related config/log files are
also attached.

1) CentOS 5.4 -- DVD image downloaded from centos.org, installed from hard
drive, installed onto /dev/sda7. Dom0 works perfectly.

2) compile DomU -- In some other threads, someone said that refreshing the py
scripts under /usr/lib/python2.4/ may cause kernel panic because of version
mismatch. Therefore I compiled DomU in a separate partition (other than
/dev/sda7) in order to keep /dev/sda7 clean (as freshly installed). Then the
kernel images of DomU were copied to /dev/sda7 for test.

a) downloaded with "hg clone http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-unstable.hg"; and "hg
clone http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg";
b) cd xen-unstable.hg
   cp /boot/config-2.6.18-164.el5xen .config (config file attached)
   vi buildconfigs/mk.linux-2.6-common to add "XEN_LINUX_CONFIG ?=
$(XEN_ROOT)/.config"
   make KERNELS="linux-2.6-xenU" world
   make install
   depmod 2.6.18.8-xenU
   mkinitrd -v -f --with=aacraid --with=sd_mod --with=scsi_mod
initrd-2.6.18.8-xenU.img 2.6.18.8-xenU

3) boot DomU

a) create a file-backed VBD with

dd if=/dev/zero of=vm1disk bs=1k seek=2048k count=0
make sure the image has the correct security context following the instructions
on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU
mkfs -t ext3 vm1disk
mount -o loop vm1disk /media/vm1disk
cp -ax /{root,dev,var,etc,usr,bin,sbin,lib,boot} /media/vm1disk
mkdir /media/vm1disk/{proc,sys,home,tmp}
vi /media/vm1disk/boot/grub/grub.conf to change sda7 to sda1, and modify the
kernel image name as appropriate.
umount /media/vm1disk

b) config file /etc/xen/mysinglevm:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xenU"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.18.8-xenU.img"
builder='linux'
memory = 64
name = "myFirstDomU"
cpus = ""         # leave to Xen to pick
vcpus = 1
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:11, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'tap:aio:/home/bjiang/domUdisks/vm1disk,sda1,w' ]
dhcp="dhcp"
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
extra = "4"
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

(P.S. I'm not sure whether here root should be set as sda1 or sda7, but neither
solves the problem.)

c) xm create -c mysinglevm vmid=1, then kernel panic

After kernel panic during DomU's booting, I catched the log files as the
attached files, and xm list shows that DomU is blocked:
[root@localhost xen]# xm list
Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0     3599     2 r-----    102.5
myFirstDomU                               21       64     1 -b----      0.2

I found each time I run the xm create command, the vmid will increase by 1
regardless of the parameter "vmid=1".

Any comments or advice are highly welcome! Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Brendan