Re: [Xen-users] easy high availability storage

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Peter Braun <xenware@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:26:39 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roland Frei <frei@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:27:21 -0800

Hi,

its not my document.

Actually Ive tried to install H/A SAN according do this document but
without success.

Am looking for opensource solution of H/A SAN - and this is close to my goal.

The basics:

1)    2 machines with some HDD space synchronized between them with DRBD.

2)    Now am little bit confused what shall I use above the DRBD block device?
       - some cluster FS like OCFS2 or GFS?
       - LVM?

3)    create files with DD on cluster FS and export them with iSCSI?
       create LVM partitions and export them with iSCSI?

4)    how to make iSCSI target highly available?
       - configure   iSCSI on virtual IP/another IP and run it as HA service
       - configure separate iSCSI targets on both SAN hosts and
connect it to Xen server as multipath?

5)    hearbeat configuration

VM machines with iSCSI HDD space on SAN should survive reboot/non
availability of one SAN hosts without interruption nor noticing that
SAN is degraded.

Is that even possible?

Thank for your comments

Peter Braun