Re: [Xen-users] Trying to Run OpenSolaris PV

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 08:48 -0700, Nick Couchman wrote:
> Hey, everyone,
> I'm running Xen 3.2 (SLES10) and trying to get an OpenSolaris PV domU to run
> correctly.  I've followed a couple of the instruction sets out on the Xen
> wiki and other folks blogs, but I'm running into an issue with the domU
> crashing.  The OpenSolaris version is the latest development release -
> 5.11-0.128.  The config looks like this:
>
> name="ImageServer"
> uuid="e1ba32be-9789-d187-dc94-6cf25ea17d9e"
> memory=1024
> vcpus=4
> on_poweroff="destroy"
> on_reboot="restart"
> on_crash="destroy"
> localtime=0
> kernel="/etc/xen/vm/osol-5.11-0.128a"
> ramdisk="/etc/xen/vm/osol-5.11-0.128a.boot"
> extra="/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix - nowin -B install_media=cdrom"
> disk=[ 'file:/xenstore/nfs/ImageServer/disk0,0,w',
> 'file:/xenstore/iso/Solaris/osol-dev-128a-ai-x86.iso,6:cdrom,r', ]
> vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3e:11:be:de,bridge=xenbr30', ]
> serial="pty"

<snip>

> Can anyone offer any advice as to what may be going on, what I need to do to
> debug it further, or what to do to solve this issue?
>
> Thanks!
> -Nick
>

> --------
> This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
> of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
> not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
> please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
> Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
> prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using
> this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received
> this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this
> e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in
> this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither
> endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.

Hi Nick,

Not sure what is going on here, but I had successfully installed a PV
Opensolaris guest a while back.

My extra line was:

extra="/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -B console=ttya,livemode=text"

Then I attached the console when I created the VM, selected the
keyboard/lang and did a vnc setup so I could see the graphical
installer.

I put it in my blog (not trying to advertise) here:
http://www.taiter.com/blog/2009/02/opensolaris-200811-paravirtual.html

This has the VNC setup and the running config that is slightly different
than the install config.

Mind you, this was for Opensolaris 2008.11 and not SNV-128 so I am not
sure if it will work for you.

Good luck,
Tait