[Xen-users] Re: Hotplug failure when running DomU from ramdisk

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:49:09 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:52:29 -0800

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I got this brilliant idea to try to run a DomU from ramdisk. Since I'm just calling the disk image from a hard drive it seemed like if I put it in a ramdisk it would boot much faster. However, the boot fails and worse yet after it fails no other DomU will start. The Ramdisk DomU and the other non-modified DomUs die with a hotplug problem. Here's the relevant lines of the xend.log.

Any ideas why I can't run a DomU off a ramdisk? And even if that isn't possible why doesn't it muck up the rest of the DomUs? This is the message I get after it returns me to the command prompt.

[root@server ~]# Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.

Oh for those who need to know this is with Xen 3.4.1 x86_64 from the gitco repos with a CentOS 5.4 Dom0 and CentOS 5.3 DomUs.

In addition the only way to fix this that I've found was a reboot of the Dom0. The more I try to do things outside of the norm (like using qcow2) the more bugs I find in xen. I know I'm just idealizing KVM but it's starting to feel that my battle will become more and more uphill with Xen. I've invested 3 years of my life with Xen and just running no frills PV or HVM DomUs works great but anything weird (like having a script that starts all DomUs at once) and the thing freaks out.

Grant McWilliams