Re: [Xen-users] Re: Hotplug failure when running DomU from ramdisk

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Grant McWilliams
<grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oh for those who need to know this is with Xen 3.4.1 x86_64 from the gitco
> repos with a CentOS 5.4 Dom0 and CentOS 5.3 DomUs.

similar dom0 setup here.

> In addition the only way to fix this that I've found was a reboot of the
> Dom0. The more I try to do things outside of the norm (like using qcow2) the
> more bugs I find in xen.

I haven't been able to get qcow2 to work :D
There were always some bug here and there, which is why I use LVM or
zfs snapshot/clone.

> I know I'm just idealizing KVM but it's starting to
> feel that my battle will become more and more uphill with Xen. I've invested
> 3 years of my life with Xen and just running no frills PV or HVM DomUs works
> great but anything weird (like having a script that starts all DomUs at
> once) and the thing freaks out.

To tell the truth, I haven't tried starting all domUs at once (never
had the need to). I did, however, run a scalability test by starting
lots of the above initramfs-based domU config using only 16MB memory
each. With that setup, I was able to run over 300 domUs
simultaneously. At that point, xenstored uses 100% CPU on dom0, and
starting another domU takes over 10 seconds, so I stopped it there.

--
Fajar