Re: [Xen-users] Hotplug failure when running DomU from ramdisk

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Grant McWilliams
<grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got this brilliant idea to try to run a DomU from ramdisk. Since I'm just
> calling the disk image from a hard drive it seemed like if I put it in a
> ramdisk it would boot much faster. However, the boot fails and worse yet
> after it fails no other DomU will start. The Ramdisk DomU and the other
> non-modified DomUs die with a hotplug problem. Here's the relevant lines of
> the xend.log.

>> ['device', ['tap', ['uname',
>> 'tap:aio:/media/ramdisk/student038.img'], ['dev', 'xvda'], ['mode', 'w']]],
>> ['device', ['tap', ['uname', 'tap:aio:/srv/xen/student038-sdb.img'], ['dev',
>> 'sdb'], ['mode', 'w']]]

looks to me that you're still using disks instead of ramdisk.

>> [root@server ~]# Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug
>> scripts not working.

is udevd running on dom0? Is there a bridge called classnet0?

FWIW, I have some test setup with busybox and initramfs, no disks
attach to domU, and it works fine. The domU config is something like
this

# cat busybox-2.6.29-xen
#================================================================
def name_check(var, val):
    if val == None:
        raise ValueError
    return val

xm_vars.var('vmname',
            use="Virtual machine name. String.",
            check=name_check)

xm_vars.check()
name  = "%s" % vmname
memory = "500"
maxmem = "8000"

vcpus=8
vcpu_avail=1
cpus="1-7"

vif =   [
        'bridge=virbr0, vifname=%s-eth0' % vmname ,
        ]

kernel="/etc/xen/kernel/vmlinuz-2.6.29.6-xen"
ramdisk="/etc/xen/initrd/busybox.img"

extra="console=xvc0"

and I start it with something like this

xm create busybox-2.6.29-xen vmname=test01 -c

That way I can use a single domU config file to create as many domUs
as needed, with a simple change to "vmname" variable on command line.

--
Fajar