Re: [Xen-users] Questions on qcow, qcow2 versus LVM

Thanks for the reply - interesting that you don't have the same problem as
I do.  Maybe it is an error or ommission in my scripts?  Here are the
commands that are run to provision a domU called 'myvm' with 10GB and
512MB of swap (dom0 is CentOS 5.4 with xen 3.4.1 from the Gitco
repositories):

# domU backing store
lvcreate -C y -L 10G -n myvm VolGroupVM
parted /dev/VolGroupVM/myvm mklabel msdos
parted /dev/VolGroupVM/myvm mkpartfs primary ext2 0 1024000
kpartx -p "" -av /dev/VolGroupVM/myvm
tune2fs -j /dev/mapper/myvm1
kpartx -d /dev/VolGroupVM/myvm

# domU swap
lvcreate -C y -L 512 -n myvm-swap VolGroupVM
parted /dev/VolGroupVM/myvm-swap mklabel msdos
parted /dev/VolGroupVM/myvm-swap mkpartfs primary linux-swap 0 512
mkswap /dev/mapper/VolGroupVM-myvm--swapp1
lvscan | sort | grep ${NAME}

Then it is basically a case of (from memory):

mount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/myvm1 /mnt/vminstall
tar -xzf /home/vmimages/image.tar.gz -C /mnt/vminstall
umount /mnt/vminstall

And the domu config file looks like this:

#  -*- mode: python; -*-
name = "myvm"
maxmem = 512
memory = 512
vcpus = 1
disk = [ "phy:/dev/VolGroupVM/myvm,xvda,w",
"phy:/dev/VolGroupVM/myvm-swap,xvdb,w" ]
vif = [ "mac=ae:00:59:15:1a:0b,ip=192.168.1.11,vifname=vifmyvm0" ]
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/pv-grub-x86_32.gz"
extra = "(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst"
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot   = "restart"
on_crash    = "restart"

I have cobbled together these commands based on what I have read at
various places.  Have I screwed up somewhere?

Many thanks,

Matt.