Re: [Xen-users] can Xen coexist/cooperate with a windows/linux dual-boot system?

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:34 AM, richard heade <richard.heade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> thanks for the response, but it leaves me wondering what's the point of
> full virtualization.

Let's see ... hardware consolidation? cloud computing? hosted vps?

> I can install the tweaked  OS for
> paravirtualization, or I can tweak the hardware configuration for an
> already installed OS for full virtualization.  Either way I can't go
> back to the original OS when I, as occasionally happens, get my linux
> system hosed up.

That's because you use windows. Seriously.
You should ask MS if they provide a solution for what you're trying to
achieve, but I doubt you'd get satisfactory response even with their
Hyper-V.

As a side note, you could try something like this

disk=[ 'phy:/dev/sda,hda,w', ]
apic=1
acpi=1
pae=1

if your Windows already has support for IDE drives as Nick mentioned
(also see http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows), you should
be able to get Windows to run. BE VERY CAREFUL though, as it should
initially invoke grub (just like when you boot normally), but you MUST
choose Windows entry. If you accidently let it boot Linux, you'll be
mounting the Linux filesystem twice (one on your dom0, one on your
domU) which is a sure recipe for corruption.

A little extra note about dom0 recovery, if for whatever reason your
dom0 is hosed up, you can easily run your domU elsewhere provided that
you have backup or access to:
- domU's disk storage (in your example it's /dev/sda1)
- domU's config file
- dom0 and domU's networking setup (well, mostly it's a matter of
making sure domU is connected to the correct bridge)

--
Fajar

--
Fajar